In “What To Do When Someone Hates Church – Part 1” I talked about two reasons people have difficulty with Christians and Church. We have a huge PR problem much of which we created ourselves.
How do we change this?
1) We need to show up as an Ambassador of Jesus – An authorized representative or messenger. (2 Corinthians 5:20, Ephesians 6:20)
“In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.” (Matthew 5:16)
As a local church we show up by:
- Feeding the Hungry in Toronto
- Local benevolence
- Hosting Volleyball weekly in our Community Centre
- Giving a scholarship each year to 3 of our local High Schools
- Meeting needs that our church people find in their communities.
2) We need to speak up as an Ambassador of Jesus – An authorized representative or messenger.
“But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect…” (1 Peter 3:16)
- Don’t make excuses for bad behaviour
- Challenge misconceptions – “The bible is full of contradictions.” “Ok, which one do you want to discuss?”
- Point people to Jesus – At the end of the day it’s all about Him.
Let me challenge you to show up and speak up this week. One step at a time we can begin to change people’s opinion of Christians, the church and Jesus.